OsmoMSC originated from the OpenBSC project, which started as a minimalistic
all-in-one implementation of the GSM Network. In 2017, OpenBSC had reached
maturity and diversity (including M3UA SIGTRAN and 3G support in the form of
IuCS and IuPS interfaces) that naturally lead to a separation of the all-in-one
approach to fully independent separate programs as in typical GSM networks.
OsmoMSC was one of the parts split off from the old openbsc.git. Before, it was
the libmsc part of the old OsmoNITB. Since a true A interface and IuCS for 3G
support is available, OsmoMSC exists only as a separate standalone entity.
- GSUP towards OsmoHLR (or a MAP proxy);
- A over IP towards a BSC (e.g. OsmoBSC);
- IuCS towards an RNC or HNB-GW (e.g. OsmoHNBGW) for 3G voice;
- MNCC (Mobile Network Call Control derived from GSM TS 04.07);
- SMPP 3.4 (Short Message Peer-to-Peer);
- The Osmocom typical telnet VTY and CTRL interfaces.
Find OsmoMSC issue tracker and wiki online at